You’re here because you need a budget-friendly option. We got you covered. Whether you need a laptop for school, for work, or your hobby, you want something solid without breaking the bank. That’s understandable, so we did the research, and here are our best picks for some amazing laptops under $500.
Our Criteria: What makes a Good All Around Laptop?
Before getting into our list, we just wanted to quickly go over the criteria we used when researching our laptops on Amazon:
- No Renewed Products – We get that you are on a budget, and sometimes buying used can be a good solution. However, we don’t think it’s worth the risk of buying a laptop renewed. You don’t know the previous condition of the laptop before it was returned. It is better to buy it new so there won’t be “extra baggage” when you purchase a renewed laptop.
- Unique Features – For $500 you won’t be getting a very powerful laptop, which is why we won’t be going into too much detail on the specs for each laptop. Instead, it is worth mentioning if it has any unique features like a touch screen, detachable keyboard, accessories, and so on.
- Plenty in Stock – Nobody should feel the FOMO (Fear of missing out) or be pressured to buy now because of limited stock, our picks should have plenty of stock for months if not years to come.
- Positive Reviews – Our word shouldn’t be the only thing you have to go, that’s why the laptops we choose have hundreds if not thousands of genuinely positive reviews and criticisms. We make sure to read the good ones so you don’t have to go through them all.
Now that we covered our criteria, let’s actually talk about some laptops.
Well if you count the shipping and tax costs it goes a bit over $500, we wanted to showcase this laptop because it is the best bang for your buck so to speak. The specs on this laptop are nothing to scoff at, coming with 16GB of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive. The display can reach a display of 1366 x 768.
It also comes with some nice perks such as an SD card reader, microphone and headphone jacks, HDMI, Bluetooth, and WIFI compatibility of course. It also comes with a built-in webcam and microphone for business calls and zoom meetings.
There are some options when purchasing this laptop, specifically buying more storage space, but this will significantly increase the price, sometimes by over $100.
That being said there are plenty in stock, it has almost 150 reviews on Amazon at the time of writing this blog post, with 70% of them being 5-star ratings. Overall, a solid option despite the steep price.
- Great for school or the office
- Plenty of storage space
- Pretty good specs for the price
- A lot of adapter slots for using devices like headphones, microphones, etc.
- Comes with a webcam and microphone
- Goes over our budget limit if you factor in shipping and taxes
Next up on our list is a laptop that comes to us from Acer, a very reputable brand of computer products. One of the more unique features about this laptop is that it comes with the latest operating system from Microsoft, Windows 11.
This version of Windows 11 is in S mode which means it is optimized to keep your laptop as secure as possible without you having to worry about hackers and potential viruses.
Not only that but its backlit keyboard also uses a biometric fingerprint reader to ensure nobody can use your laptop except you.
This laptop also features enhanced voice technology that cancels out background noise. Make your voice in any calls or business meetings crystal clear. This laptop is also compatible with Amazon Alexa and has the Alexa Show Mode to talk to Alexa from across the room!
We do have to note, that the weakest aspect of this laptop is its storage capacity, at only a 128GB SSD. Meaning if you want more storage space, you will have to buy it separately.
This laptop is great for school or work when the only thing you are storing are emails, letters, and other small documents. However for video editors, programmers, or other jobs that require a lot of storage, this won’t be the best option for you.
- Comes with a security optimized mode of Windows 11
- Enhances your voice quality by eliminating background noise
- Comes with additional security features like a biometric fingerprint scanner
- Compatible with many devices, including Amazon Alexa
- Backlit Keyboard
- Limited storage space
- Low amount of RAM, which can be upgraded to improve performance
Slightly higher price than the previous option, but it does come with twice the RAM (8GB). Its monitor has a maximum resolution of 1366 x 768.
HP has been in the laptop business for a very long time, and they have been quite successful at it, so when you purchase their brand you know you are getting a solid product.
Unfortunately, just like the previous option, it has the same limited storage space of 128GB on an SSD. So if you want more space, either purchase an HDD or SDD separately or external storage.
Purchasing this laptop comes with a free year of Microsoft Office 365, this is a suite of programs like Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and more.
Finally, it comes with some extra accessories like an HDMI cable, USB extension cord, and a mouse pad with no mouse included.
This laptop has over 800 ratings on Amazon, with 66% of them being 5 stars. After reading through a lot of the reviews, a lot of people tried buying this as a budget gaming laptop and were disappointed. We would like to reiterate that laptops like these are good only for general usage. Simple tasks like browsing the web, watching shows, stock trading, writing, etc.
- Comes with a free year of Microsoft Office 365
- Also comes with extra accessories
- Limited storage
- Different color options can increase the price
If those previous options had you feeling disappointed, hopefully Lenovo can pique your interest with the Lenovo IdeaPad 3. This is probably the best budget-friendly laptop you can get at this price range. Featuring a Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and AMD Radeon 7 Graphics. This will NOT be able to running the latest games like Elden Ring, Doom: Eternal, Apex Legends, and more. At least not without sacrificing quality.
Not to mention it also has a low storage space, more than the previous options, but only a 256GB SSD. As long as the games you want to play are not graphic intensive, this laptop can get the job done.
That being said, this laptop has some nifty features and freebies, such as a free 3 month trial of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Despite the name, this means you will have access to hundreds of games available on your PC. It is the ‘Netflix’ of video games.
Other features include a built-in privacy shutter for the webcam. You can also control your laptop’s fans performance to suit your needs. Running multiple programs or graphics-intensive gaming are examples of when you would need higher performance from your laptop’s fans.
This laptop is also easier on the eyes by reducing low blue lights. You will not find a laptop with this kind of power available at this kind of price.
- Best Budget Gaming Laptop option
- Comes with a free 3 months trial of Game Pass
- Monitor that prevents eye strain, even after long periods of laptop usage
- Privacy shutter for the webcam
- Adjustable fan performance and cooling
- Limited storage of 256GB
- If you don’t plan to game on your laptop, consider cheaper alternatives
The next laptop on our list is the ASUS VivoBook, coming with the latest version of Windows 11 installed in S Mode. We mentioned this previously, but the S mode means that your laptop is optimized for security. Keeping you safe from any hackers and viruses when you browse the internet. This laptop also uses a fingerprint scanner for quick login and solid security.
The specs of the laptop are similar to the ones we’ve showcased already, 8GBs of RAM, and a 15.6″ display. It also features an Intel Core i3 processor, while on the weaker side of the wide range of Intel processors, it gets the job done for basic tasks. It also has limited storage of 128GB SSD.
The laptop is also lightweight, being less than four pounds, and durable. Making it a great option for people on the move from classroom to classroom, or from the conference room to the office, and all the coffee shops in between.
This laptop appears to do very well in its Amazon ratings, with over 5000 reviews with 73% of them being 5 star reviews.
- Excellent value for the price
- Lightweight and durable, great for being mobile
- Backlit keyboard making it easy to use in dim environments
- Comes with Windows 11 and is security optimized
- Limited storage space
Conclusion: The Best Laptops Under $500
Hopefully with this list, you were able to find a laptop that suits your needs. If not, we apologize for that, but Amazon does provide alternatives on the sites for the products we linked, you can continue browsing their selection on their website.
We do hope at the very least, seeing all these different brands of laptops, at least showed you that it is possible to get a quality laptop under $500 without having to skimp on quality. A lot of these laptops even came with the latest software like Windows 11 and free trials to Microsoft Office 365, Xbox Game Pass, and some other goodies as well.
You also might be wondering why manufacturers had so little hard drive space available on many of the laptops we listed. Unfortunately, that is just what manufacturers have to sacrifice in order to turn a profit on a laptop in this price range.
Some sacrificed a bit of processing speed or RAM instead. Storage space is easy to acquire at least, you have the options of buying a bigger hard drive or an external storage device will work just as well.
At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want out of your laptop. If you just want something to browse the internet, watch videos on YouTube, and maybe write a book, you could buy an even cheaper laptop for basic tasks. However if you are someone that needs a lot of storage space, the processing power to run multiple programs, or to play the latest video games. Your options are limited unfortunately.
Consider a higher price range and you’ll be able to get high performance laptops. In fact, we even wrote blog posts about the best laptops at higher prices, feel free to check them out below.
Also, feel free to check our website often, we are always updating our store with the latest electronics and will be updating this blog post when better options are available.