If you are someone who is on the fence about whether you should buy a gaming laptop or purchase a “normal” laptop, then it is safe to say you probably have a lot of questions.
In today’s blog post, we try to answer said questions about the differences between a gaming laptop vs normal laptop. We’ll even offer a few suggestions for gaming and normal laptops. Let’s get started!
What are the Advantages of a Gaming Laptop?
Gaming laptops will often have a higher performance compared to an all-around laptop. This is because PC games require it.
You need a laptop with powerful PC parts like the GPU and CPU to be able to run the latest games. This can work in your favor even if you are not a gamer.
There are other uses for a gaming laptop other than gaming. Things like digital art, video editing, programming, and music production require a powerful PC.
This is because activities like these have you running multiple programs at once and they will use your computer’s resources heavily to do so. A gaming laptop is perfect for this.
Another advantage of a gaming laptop is being able to game anywhere you want. If you are someone that doesn’t have the time to be sitting at home all the time, a gaming laptop is a great traveling companion to have. You can also bring it with you to play games with friends nearby for LAN parties.
At the end of the day, just because it is a gaming laptop doesn’t mean you can’t use it as a normal laptop for things like college, day-to-day tasks, work, and other basic needs.
To summarize the advantages of a gaming laptop:
- Gaming Laptops are powerful you will always have high performance with a gaming laptop. This allows you to do other things outside of gaming as well. Things like video editing, music production, animation, programming, and more.
- Gaming on the go! We can’t always have the luxury to sit at home all day. That doesn’t mean we have to give up our passion for video games. Take them with you wherever you go.
- Has the functions of a normal laptop, just because it’s a gaming laptop, doesn’t mean it can’t do what a normal laptop can do.
- Stylish and a unique design, we didn’t mention this earlier, but gaming laptops tend to be very stylish. With RGB lighting, backlit keyboards, and each is designed differently.
What are the Disadvantages of a Gaming Laptop?
Unfortunately, not all is sunshine and rainbows when it comes to a laptop, they have plenty of their disadvantages as well.
For starters, gaming laptops are expensive a good gaming laptop to play all the latest and greatest games will probably cost you anywhere from $1200-$2000! You can buy gaming laptops for cheaper, but the performance might not be enough to keep up with newer games.
Gaming laptops also tend to heat up much faster, this is because running games, as well as multiple applications at once, uses your computer resources. Any PC that’s using its parts to the max for long hours is bound to start heating up making those fans work overtime and with a lot of noise. This also eats up your laptop’s battery life.
Another thing to consider is that gaming with a trackpad is awful. Fortunately, this is something that can be remedied easily by plugging in a controller or a gaming mouse. Although if you don’t have these things prior, then that means having to spend extra money for a more convenient gaming experience.
Finally, this is more of a comparison to a regular desktop, but gaming laptops cannot be upgraded. Or rather it is much more difficult to upgrade a gaming laptop to the point where it is not worth it. This means that as the years go by and you start to notice that your gaming laptop can’t run newer games too well, or if one of the parts starts to go bad. There isn’t much you can do.
To summarize the disadvantages of a gaming laptop:
- Expensive if you want a good laptop to run all of today’s and tomorrow’s games, be prepared to spend $1200-$2000!
- Heating and noise, because a gaming laptop uses its parts for high performance for long periods, can lead to laptops getting hot and noisy once those fans kick into overdrive to keep your laptop cool. Otherwise, it will shut down from overheating.
- The trackpad is awful for gaming. You can purchase a controller or mouse and use those instead. But not having these before purchasing a gaming laptop means having to spend more money.
- Hard to upgrade, more often than not it just isn’t worth it. Fortunately, a good gaming laptop will last you for many years to come.
Now that we’ve been diving into the details about gaming laptops, it’s time to move on to the other side, regular laptops!
What are the Advantages of a Normal Laptop?
Cheaper than a gaming laptop! If you are someone that needs a laptop at a budget-friendly price then a regular laptop can be as cheap as $500 or even less. Unless you’re buying an Apple laptop, then it’s a different story, as those are about as expensive as a gaming laptop.
Normal laptops tend to be lightweight and thin, making them even easier to transport and carry around with you all day.
Regular laptops are less prone to overheating and tend to have much longer battery life. This is because using a laptop for basic needs like internet browsing doesn’t use up your computer’s resources heavily. This means your laptop’s fans won’t have to work as hard either, resulting in a cool and mostly quiet laptop experience.
Finally, this might be a bit of a stretch, but a normal laptop can be used for games. Just don’t expect to play the latest Call of Duty at the highest settings. Depending on the laptop you buy, you can still game with it. Just think of less graphic-intensive games and it will be fine.
To summarize the advantages of a normal laptop:
- Much cheaper than a gaming laptop. If your budget is tight you can pick up a laptop for $300-$500. Maybe even less. The only exception is if you want to buy an Apple MacBook.
- Lightweight and thin compared to a large and bulky gaming laptop. You can carry a normal laptop around much more easily.
- Less overheating means less noise since you won’t be gaming as heavily on a normal laptop, your laptop won’t heat up as fast and your fans won’t have to work so hard. It also leads to longer battery life!
- Can still game! Just don’t expect to play the latest games of the highest quality. Think older games and/or less graphic-intensive ones.
What are the Disadvantages of a Normal Laptop?
One of the disadvantages of a normal laptop is its ability to handle multiple applications. If you have things up like an internet browser, a zoom meeting call, office software, and anything else you might use frequently throughout the day. You will notice that your laptop’s performance will slow down immensely. This is due to having a weaker processor and a low amount of RAM.
Because of the limitations, you are also limited to what you can do with a laptop. You won’t be able to play every video game available, video editing will feel sluggish, and animation and programming will have performance issues too.
This can be frustrating for a lot of people and not worth getting a laptop if the activities mentioned above are why you want to buy a laptop in the first place. If you are someone that just has basic computing needs like shopping online, writing an essay, or just watching Netflix or Disney+ then a normal laptop is all you need.
Surprisingly, a normal laptop doesn’t have too many disadvantages as long as you understand what you are getting into.
To quickly summarize the downsides:
- Poor multitasking, normal laptops tend to slow down once you start running one too many apps. This makes it difficult for music production, animators, programmers, and other tasks.
- This leads to limiting what you can do on a laptop to only a few simple things. Browsing the internet, streaming movies, shopping online, or writing an essay. Those sort of tasks.
Best Gaming and Normal Laptop Recommendations?
We could be here all day talking this and that about gaming and normal laptops. If you have decided which one works best for you here are some quick and fast recommendations for both.
We’ll keep this short, a laptop like this will run anything and everything you throw at it for years to come.
The latest video games in high quality? Absolutely.
Video editing? Yes! Multitasking? You bet. This is a powerhouse of a gaming laptop and one of the highest-rated ones on Amazon too.
If you need to write an essay, do some online shopping, or send some business emails this laptop can do all of that and more. All of your basic computing needs are covered.
Not to mention this laptop is small and lightweight. Allowing you to bring it anywhere from the classroom to the office, to your home, and anywhere in between.
If you need something cheap, but solid, you can’t go wrong with the IdeaPad 3.
Conclusion: Gaming Laptop vs Normal Laptop
We hope you found this blog post helpful in your decision to purchase either a gaming laptop or a normal one.
Gaming laptops, despite the name are actually a lot more useful for more than just gaming.
Normal laptops are much more affordable, but that doesn’t mean they can’t handle some light gaming on them either.
If you have any further questions, leave a comment down below.
Finally, if you want to see even more laptop recommendations check out our other blog posts down below.