When it comes to headsets, there are a few different brands that pro gamers tend to use.
Among pros, the most popular type of headset is the over-ear type, which offers the most comfort and the best sound quality.
These types of headsets usually have a detachable microphone so that you can use them when you need to communicate with your teammates.
In today’s blog post, we’ll answer the question, “What headsets do most pro gamers use?” as well as provide recommendations and the benefits of using a gaming headset.
The Most Popular Headsets Among Pro Gamers
Rather than have the blog post dedicated to talking about the headset, we have a shortlist and quick descriptions of which headsets are the most popular among pro gamers.
Here are the top 5 picks. Just a heads up, some of these aren’t going to be exactly budget-friendly. This is pro gamer equipment here, they need the best of the best, so they can perform their best. And the best isn’t exactly cheap.
HyperX has been a reputable brand in the esports scene for over a decade and sponsors many professional gamers with their gear.
List of notable features:
- 7.1 Surround sound gives you an edge as you can hear every noise in your game, from the lightest footstep to the loudest explosion with pinpoint accurate audio
- You’ll also get their signature memory foam-designed ear cups for comfort during long gaming sessions.
- Comes with an advanced USB control box, which is a sound card that enhances your audio and noise cancellation letting you stay immersed in your game
- The microphone is also detachable, perfect for when you just want to listen and be immersed, or when you need to communicate with your teammates.
Not only is Logitech a leading brand in the professional gaming scene, but Logitech has also been making electronic products for a very long time.
In other words, they know what they are doing. They know how to make a solid headset that will back you up even when your teammates can’t.
This headset even has your choice between wired or wireless. As well as a special League of Legends edition of this headset. Keep in mind that choosing either wireless or the League of Legends edition bumps up the price considerably. Check before buying.
Here’s a list of notable features of this headset:
- The microphone is also detachable and uses Blue Voice technology. What this technology does is make sure your voice comes out crystal clear as well as enhance your audio to give you the best audio experience.
- All Logitech products are compatible with Logitech G Hub, free software you can download so you can tune the headphones any way you want. You can save different presets when you want to switch to a more immersive experience or a for giving you an edge in the competition
- The PRO X comes with a mobile cable with an inline mic if you don’t want to use the boom microphone for quick communication.
- Comfortable leatherette memory foam earpads, a great option for gaming all day long
Sennheiser is a well-known brand of headphones outside of the gaming world. When it comes to studio-quality headphones, Sennheiser is a top-tier brand.
Now they’re bringing that audio quality to their special brand of gaming headphones.
Here’s what you should know about these headphones:
- Just like their studio headphone design, these are closed-back for absolute noise cancellation. The only thing you’ll hear is your game and your teammates. You won’t even hear someone in the same room as you.
- The earcups are huge! This is hands down, the perfect headset if you have a big head. If you have tried gaming headsets before, but they just didn’t feel comfortable, give these a try.
- The foldable design makes this a great headset when you’re on the go. Easy to store and easy to transport.
- This one does not have a detachable microphone, but it does automatically mute when you flip it up.
Razer is yet another long-time veteran of the gaming industry. Their headsets are one of the most popular choices among casuals and hardcore gamers alike.
If you are looking for some of their more high-end headsets we recommend the Razer Kraken V3 HyperSense or if you’re willing to spend some extra money, the Kraken V3 Pro is probably Razer’s best headset.
The difference between the two is that the Kraken V3 Pro is wireless and overall has better audio quality than the Hypersense.
Here are some key features of both headsets:
- The HyperSense vibrates with the sound signals in real-time to give tactile feedback in your games.
- Both headsets feature 7.1 THX Spatial Audio for the best optimization of your game’s audio
- Similar to other headsets, the earpads are made from leatherette memory foam cushions to provide excellent comfort for long gaming sessions
- The microphone is detachable and designed to eliminate background noise while enhancing your voice for clear communication
- As a bonus, these headsets have RGB which can be customized with Razer’s free software
- The Pro version of this headset is wireless
Here is a link to the Pro version if you’re interested, it is also available on the store page as an option.
Last, but certainly not least we have the Astro Gaming A40 headset. Make sure you pick the correct platform before you check out. It is separated between Xbox, Playstation, and PC.
This can kind of make it a hassle if you switch platforms quite often, but if you don’t, here’s why we recommend this headset:
- These headphones were designed to be worn for long gaming sessions, this headset is lightweight and made from cloth and synthetic leather.
- Can be modded, for those that like to tinker with their headsets, this one, in particular, is great for it, although the mod kit is sold separately
- Astro works with both developers as well as pro gamers to ensure you receive the best audio quality
- The microphone is detachable, according to many Amazon reviews, it is poor quality
- However, the audio quality that these headphones deliver is very solid
Bonus! SteelSeries Arctis Pro
It wouldn’t be a professional gaming headset list without a recommendation for a Steelseries headset.
Unfortunately, SteelSeries headsets seem to be sold out or in short supply on Amazon, so we recommend checking out their official website.
Here is the link, this isn’t an affiliate link as we are not currently affiliated with SteelSeries at the time of writing.
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Link – Price: $158
SteelSeries is one of the best brands when it comes to gaming gear. Winning dozens of awards for their sound design and microphone design for their top-notch quality.
The headband can be adjusted to fit any size head and these headphones provide comfort all day long.
Why Do Pros Use These Headsets?
What makes our list of headsets stand out from the rest you might be wondering, here’s why:
- Comfort for long gaming sessions, gaming tournaments can be very long, with players having to play multiple matches that last for many rounds. They need a headset to be comfortable.
- A detachable microphone, while some professional games are part of a team, others are solo. Think about fighting game professional players or Starcraft pros. This is a game mainly played 1v1, so a microphone isn’t needed. It’s nice to be able to have the option to choose between having one or not.
- Top tier audio quality – It goes without saying, that audio is important in gaming. Professionals need the best audio quality they can get their hands on. These headsets provide it.
- Sponsors, unfortunately, the truth is that most professional gamers are sponsored by these big-name brands. They aren’t personally choosing the headsets they wear, usually, their team or organization gets sponsored, it’s even in their team name at times.
Just one quick note, just because a team or player gets sponsored by a brand, that doesn’t mean the brand is bad or sketchy or anything of the sort. A lot of these brands are really solid and you can’t go wrong with any of them. If you can’t take the pro player’s word or ours, check out the Amazon reviews on the pages we linked.
We try to end these posts with frequently asked questions (FAQ) in case there’s anything we missed. Feel free to leave a comment with your questions if there’s anything we missed.
What are the Benefits of a Gaming Headset?
If you’ve never used a gaming headset before, you are missing out! We can’t just write about the audio experience as it is something you have to experience for yourself.
- Better audio quality allows you to hear sounds you never knew existed in your favorite games. Not to mention good surround sound gives you a good advantage in shooter games for example as you can pinpoint enemy locations.
- Having a good quality microphone can make communication with teammates and friends a lot easier. Relaying vital information clearly in the middle of the game can be the difference between losing and winning.
- A solid gaming headset usually has no sound leakage. This means that those around you won’t be disturbed by the many sounds your game makes. If you share a room with someone, you won’t have to worry about your game being too loud. The noises from your mechanical keyboard clicks or your talking is a different story, however.
These are just some of the many benefits of using a gaming headset as opposed to speakers.
What are the Downsides to a Gaming Headset?
It can’t all be sunshine and rainbows on the other side, unfortunately. There are some things you should take note of before you buy.
- Comfort is subjective, what might be comfortable for others might be uncomfortable for you. When buying a headset online we can’t test out a headset before we buy. Then it becomes a hassle to return the whole thing if you are unsatisfied.
- Expensive, gaming headsets, especially the high-end ones used by professional gamers can range anywhere from $100-$250 in some cases!
- Microphone quality can differ for each headset. If you plan to stream, cast, or record gameplay, it is oftentimes better to buy a studio microphone instead.
Does X headset work with Y Device?
If you are wondering if a certain gaming headset is compatible with a certain device, always check the Amazon store page. Someone most likely had the same question as you and asked the community for help.
The answer is usually yes since these headsets use USB cables to connect. Just about every PC and console has a USB slot to plug in your headset. However, depending on the headset some features might not be available like RGB customization or surround sound on the console or a mobile device.
To be on the safe side, do extensive research on the headset before buying!
What Games Benefit the Most From Gaming Headsets?
Shooter games come to mind almost immediately. Being able to hear the lightest footstep can give you such a huge advantage, and having a good microphone to communicate with your team is essential.
Other types of games that could benefit are fighting games. If you participate in tournaments, sometimes the crowd and immediate surroundings can be a distraction. Gaming headsets have great noise cancellation to keep your mind clear from noise and keep you in the game.
Even single-player games can benefit from a gaming headset. The increased audio quality can let you hear sounds you never knew existed in the game. Making the game more immersive and an enjoyable experience.
Which Brand is the Best?
This is a hard question to answer since it’s a matter of preference. Each brand has its pros and cons.
Personally, the brands that I like are SteelSeries, HyperX, and Logitech.
Conclusion: What Headsets do Most Pro Gamers Use?
We hope you found this post informative and helpful. Maybe you even learned something about gaming headsets and found one that suits you.
If not, we’re sorry about that, however, you can check out our other blog posts where we have even more headphone recommendations, many of which are great for casual gaming at budget-friendly prices.
You can check out our other blog posts down below. We also write about Laptops, keyboards, video games, and more. Thanks for reading!